Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Getting My Feet Wet

The house smells faintly of week-old left-overs and dirty diapers; my shirt is still damp with the rejected portions of my six-month old's bottle; our recently-dented minivan sits in the garage with its doors open, spewing out the remains of an ill-conceived morning trip to the pool; and when I last walked through my kitchen five minutes ago, I barely avoided slipping on my daughter's discarded dinner. It's 8:10, this kids are in bed, and after evaluating the state of my home, I've made a decision: It's perfect time to start blogging.

The truth is, I've been thinking a lot about this whole blogging thing for awhile. (Okay, I confess that I didn't actually know what "blogging" was until a few days ago - or that you could use it in a sentence as a verb.) But as the last four years of my life have flown by (and those same 1,460 days have simultaneously crawled by), I've felt the perpetual need to document the horrors and hilarity of mothering four children under the age of four.

But I have to tell you, in the words of that cranky American Idol judge: "If I'm being honest...," I am terrified of the creative writing process. Those things that sound witty and insightful in my head often make me feel silly and foolish when I see them in print. And since I'm not terribly ept in my computer skills, I'm assuming that once something is posted on this blog, I can't get it back!

So as I take this plunge into the pool of writing (or at least dabble my toes in the water), I want to be sure to thank my dear blogging friend, mom2drew, for her inspiration. She doesn't know it yet, but her talent for observing and writing about her own parenting experience is what drove me from the security of my lounge chair. And if I drown out there, I'm blaming her!!!

No comments: