Friday, February 13, 2009

Highlights From a Preschool Valentine Party

"Just a reminder that our preschool party is coming up on Friday, February 13th! Emily and Evie's mom is our coordinator for this event, and will be contacting you shortly."

I am? I will?

Wait, that's next week. Yikes.

"Hi, everybody. This is Emily and Evie's mom. Thanks for signing up to help with this week's party. Sorry it took me so long to contact you. Here's what I'm thinking we'll do: 1) serve a healthy snack of fruit, cheese, and crackers; 2) let the kids decorate a Valentine cookie during craft time; 3) set up a Valentine beanbag toss for game time."

Wouldn't it be fun to make a beanbag toss? Dad could build it, I could paint it, and then I could make Valentine beanbags for the kids to play with and then take home!

Ty, I know this is the sixth store I've dragged you into on this bitterly cold day, but Mommy needs you to hang in there, buddy. We still have to buy plates, cups, a tablecloth, Valentine fabric, and sprinkles. And I want to make sure that everything coordinates with my candy heart - inspired theme.

Thanks for building that beanbag toss, Dad. It looks awesome. Don't worry about painting it, though. I can totally take care of that.

I'VE GOT TO PAINT THAT THING BY TOMORROW!

The red paint I used on the kitchen isn't quite the shade of red I had in mind for the beanbag toss, but can I justify buying a new can of paint?

Never mind, I don't have time anyway.

Hey Nana, thanks for coming over today. Um, I know you need to leave in a few minutes, but before you go, can you help me whip up some bean bags for tomorrow's party?

Did I need to buy 20 lbs. of rice to fill 12 beanbags?

These beanbags don't look the way I thought they would. Maybe I should redo them. What do you think, Nana? Nana??? Nana, are you okay? You look a little pale. Hey by the way, I don't think I like the beanbag toss being just plain red. Don't you think it needs some embellishment?

Okay, bye Nana!

No girls, you may NOT use Mommy's paint right now. Go outside and play. Mommy is painting embellishments on this beanbag toss. I'm doing this for your party, you know.

No, I don't have time to push you on the swings! Leave me alone!!!

Ella, I thought you were going to help me make a gift for your teacher tomorrow. Why aren't you unwrapping those Hershey kisses faster?

Yes, Ella, you may eat the pieces of chocolate that fall off.

Ella, stop breaking chocolate off every piece of candy. Do you think other sweatshop kids get to eat chocolate?

Never mind.

These teacher gifts don't look right. Something funny happened with the chocolate. Maybe I should try making another batch.

It's okay to give the teacher ugly and somewhat suspicious-looking chocolate treats for Valentine's Day, right? I mean, they teach preschoolers. They probably expect ugly and somewhat suspicious gifts. Besides, I've got to get to bed.

Did I forget to set the alarm???

We're late we're late we're late we're late we're late...

You know, after I drop the girls off, I should run by the grocery store for some balloons. I'll have enough time to get there and then back to set up for the party.

Ty, stop pulling on the balloons. Mommy only bought twelve balloons for twelve kids. We don't want one to...

BAM!

Crap.

I'm late I'm late I'm late I'm late...

Hi ladies, sorry I'm late! I guess we'll have to set up the party with the kids in the room, since recess is already over.

OK kids, let's eat our healthy, yummy snack before we decorate the cookies!

Never mind kids, you don't have to eat your snack first. Let's just go ahead and decorate the cookies.

Oh wow! Look at that beautiful cookie you decorated. I had no idea you could fit a whole jar of red sprinkles on top of one cookie, but I guess you can.

I should have bought more sprinkles.

Look at me, Evie. I want to get a cute picture of you at your Valentine's party!



Forget it.

Oh, is it time for the game already? OK kids, are you ready to play a game? Everybody get a beanbag and make a line.

Let's get in a line.

Can we get in a line?

Well, that's a good idea. We can just all throw our beanbags at the same time.

This is chaos.

Is that Ty crying? Oh, I didn't realize he was standing up in that chair. Did he hit his head? No, that bruise was already there from when he fell down the stairs yesterday.

The party's over? I guess I need to run down and pick Ella up from class.

Your class had a chocolate fondue!?!

Yes, I see the chocolate all over the front of your new outfit.

Where are my keys?

Where are my KEYS???

Are you girls going to cry the whole way home from school?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Sigh.

Happy Valentine's Day!

7 comments:

MindyMac said...

I am crying I am laughing so hard...partly because, YIKES! What a crazy day! And partly because this so beautifully displays your personality! Kari Mattingly does NOTHING second rate! By the way, that picture of Evie? That one put me right over the edge! HILARIOUS! I MISS YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Heather said...

you have once again worn me out .. .i'm heading to bed after just RELIVING that with you.

thank you.

Happy VD.

xo
HH

Andrea said...

I love your blogs, Kari. :) As tough as your life is with four kids...they always bring a laugh!...eventually. ;)

Jenny said...

fantastic....just fantastic...!

Cstargel said...

I had a similar experience with the Easter preschool party last year and that is when I vowed to NEVER be room mom. One mandatory holiday party a year is enough!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

All I have to say....hee hee hee....is that....hee hee hee..... Evie's picture just about sums it up...hee hee hee. Pause (I'm still chuckling)...I am SO glad you agreed to forego (sp?) the heart embroidered closure to the bean bags!!!!! That would have put me over the top! Excuse me, I have to get a kleenex to wipe away my tears of laughter....NanaLily

Jackie, Chris, and Camden said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! AHH! Happy love day to The Mattingly`s to!