Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Perfect Parent

Ty knocked himself out last week.

Knocked. Himself. OUT.

And shaved a good two years off my life.

Of course I was only standing about 10 feet away when he did it, which proves that the concept of "keeping an eye on the kids" is totally overrated. Ty was pushing a truck on the hardwood floor with his foot when the truck rolled forward and he flipped back. And knocked himself out.

I have to give myself credit for not freaking out. He came around after only an eternity a few seconds and started crying, which I took as a good sign. 9-1-1 was already punched in, but I hung up and speed-dialed the Children's Hospital nurse hot line instead. I don't know why, but I like that they know me by name over there. Anyway, Nurse Janet sent me packing to the nearest emergency room, which received us in record time. One lengthy exam, one CT scan, and three packages of graham crackers later, Ty was discharged home under a clean bill of health. Praise God.

It seems His angels are putting in some overtime around our house these days. I have to tell you that the week before Ty's frightening fall, we had an even more terrifying incident occur. Before I share though, you have to know that I NEVER move a car without all of my children accounted for - either in the house or buckled into their seats. It's a good rule anyway, but the accident that killed Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter last year in her own driveway has given me a healthy sense of paranoia. So I NEVER move a car when my children are outside. And isn't that the way all accident stories begin?

A few weeks ago, it was pretty clear that something was going on with the transmission in the minivan. I was not in a good mood, since we don't exactly have the money to fix a car that should run just fine. Instead of pulling the van all the way into the garage like I usually do, I pulled in only part way so I could check the transmission fluid. By the time that job was done, our neighbors, their son, my husband, and our four kids were all out in the driveway talking and playing. Around here, three adults to five kids is a pretty good ratio. So I counted all the kids, made sure every child was accounted for, and walked back into the garage to pull the van forward the last three feet. And then muttered a few inappropriate words under my breath when I couldn't find the keys.

That figures. Nothing's ever just easy. Can't even pull my car in the garage without it being a production...

I got out of the car, slammed the door, and stormed towards the kitchen to find my keys.

Just as Ty toddled around the front bumper of my car.

I am not exaggerating this at all. If my keys had been in the ignition where I was sure I'd left them, I would have pulled that car forward three feet and crushed my son. Our garage is a very tight space, and the car would have either rolled over him or pinned him to the wall.

I snatched Ty up and about hugged the breath out of him, while getting on my knees and thanking God that He is a better parent to my children than I am. Not just in terms of their safety - because clearly I can't keep them safe even when I am watching them - but in terms of their complete and total well-being.

I regularly beat myself up for all the ways I've failed as a parent. And I am terrified that my kids are going to grow up, move out, and never speak to me again, because I consistently fail to meet all of their needs.

When did I start thinking I was God?

I can't meet all of my children's needs. I will never be able to meet all of my children's needs. I succeed in keeping them from physical harm well enough, but not perfectly - as the bumps and bruises on their elbows and knees will attest. I try to keep them happy, but not all that effectively - which is clear to the public at large every time I take them grocery shopping. I hug them and kiss them and love on them every day - but I still manage to yell at them several times a day, too. I am so not a perfect parent.

But thank God He is.

He loves my own children even more than I do. Infinitely more so, because He was willing to sacrifice His own Son for a relationship with them. He is capable of giving my children more joy in their lives than I can because of the relationship they can have with Him. And He is even more capable than me at keeping them from physical harm; clearly so, because Ty is safe and healthy and with us today.

And I am so grateful for that.

7 comments:

Two Shades of Pink said...

OK, OK. I am so crying after this post. Crying because I felt your fear as if it were my own and crying because our precious King knows our children better then we do (I mean, have you ever tried counting the hairs on their head?)And crying because you are so darn funny even in the face of something scary. I am happy a mom like you knows her need for Jesus since it totally increases the safety of your children. Your blog blesses me!

ermaloff said...

Your kids are very lucky to have you as a parent. If you don't yell at them every now and then, then you're simply not human.

Should I send you some DFCS stories so that you can feel better about yourself as a parent? :P Horrifying, but they'll validate that yes, you meet all of your kids' needs (food? check! shelter? check! education? check! love, discipline, assurance? double check!).

danielle

Lisa said...

My kids freak me out all the time. Kid # 2 has rolled off more beds and down more stairs than I can count! Not for lack of watching, they're just bloody fast!

MindyMac said...

Sister, you are so right. Misti was 2 feet away from Beau when he tripped and broke his arm. I have been inches from my own children when they have hurt themselves a million different times. My legs get weak reading about Ty and the car....because I know that horrible, bring you to your knees feeling! You are one of the best moms I know, and your children are my favorite children (besides my own, of course!)! Great post!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That story takes my breath away, but you must rest assured that we ALL have been (or will be) "there" in our lives. There is no perfect parent - NO NOT ONE! I think you are awesome and have four of the six most fabulous grandchildren EVER! Lily (p.s. I still shudder at the flash of Tyler's yellow life jacket that I saw off the side of the pool slide!)

JESSICA said...

Amen. Thanks for the reminder and thankful that your little guy is okay!

Cstargel said...

oh my goodness Kari! I know you were so relieved that you had to go "find" your keys....so glad sweet ty is okay.