Monday, November 16, 2009

The Headless Sprinting Chicken

Anybody else out there reading Deadly Viper: Character Assassins byMike Foster and Jud Wilhite?

Anybody out there want to slap me right now for admitting I have time to read?

Well before you hurt me, I should let you know two things:

1. Deadly Viper: Character Assassins is essentially a "bathroom read." You can pick it up during your 30 seconds or so of time in the loo, and get a good couple of pages read. If you have earplugs, you might even get a full minute of privacy - so long as you can't hear the children knocking on the door asking, "Mo-ommy! What are you do-oing?!?" (Or am I just projecting my own experiences?)

2. I've only read two of the six chapters, and the ones I read were in the middle of the book. Yeah, that's just how I roll.

Anyway, one of the two brilliant chapters I had "time" to read a few weeks ago is called The Assassin of the Headless Sprinting Chicken. It's all about how the concept of "balance" is essentially bunk; that we will never be able to have a morning quiet time every morning, eat everything just right, exercise everyday, drink 64 oz. of water before bedtime, create perfectly happy and well-behaved children, and still slip into bed at night looking like a Victoria's Secret model.

OK I took a few liberties with my synopsis, but you get the point: Balance is bunk. Instead of being a healthy - albeit flawed - person who can roll with life's punches, I'm more like a headless sprinting chicken running around trying to achieve perfection through the illusion of a balanced life.

And yes - that about sums up my experiences of late. I have been absolutely CLOBBERED by the Assassin of the Headless Sprinting Chicken. In trying to be all things by doing all things for all of the people around me, I have failed myself miserably. I'm living off daily drive-thru Cokes and the occasional pack of chicken nuggets, but I can't tell you the last time I sat down to eat. I get out of breath cleaning my house, because it seems like every time I turn around all of the stuff that is supposed to be upstairs is downstairs, and all of the stuff that is supposed to be downstairs is upstairs. My 5-year old's pre-K homework has been late for two weeks in a row. (And come to think of it, so has she.) I can't remember the last time I prayed for myself, my husband, or my children. And to save my life, I can't seem to swallow the happy pill we all know I need.

The plane is going down, and every one's wearing an oxygen mask but me.

So what's the answer? According to the Deadly Viper authors, "LEAD YOURSELF. NO ONE ELSE WILL" (93).

Wilhite goes on to spell it out on p. 94: "I am responsible to lead myself, to ensure that I'm resting, learning, growing, and bringing my very best self to the job every day. I'm the only one who knows what my emotional, physical, and spiritual gauges are telling me and I've got to listen to them. I am responsible for my own self-care, growth, and development."

Ouch.

Basically, everybody else is wearing their oxygen mask because I've placed it on them. But the instruction we've heard the flight attendant give a thousand times before is to place the mask on ourselves first. I realized last week that I'm no good to my family right now, because I've been so busy caring for them that I've forgotten to give any thought to myself. All I'm really doing is running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Of course, I'm writing all of this down "pre-solution." I really don't know what I'm going to do to start taking better care of myself. I know that writing is somehow therapeutic for me, so I suppose this post is a step in the right direction. I'm hoping that the bowl of cereal I'm going to go eat in a second isn't too bad either. Perhaps I'll even get out of the house for a bit on this beautiful day, and just take a few minutes to enjoy the time before it passes me by.

On that note, let me share one final bit of encouragement I heard last night. It's a daily devotional that was once kept in the wallet of a famous Alabama coach that my husband is NOT going to let me mention. So forget I said it, and just read the words:

This is the beginning of a new day.
God has given me this day to use as I will.
I can waste it or use it for good.
What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving something in its place I have traded for it.
I want it to be a gain, not loss - good, not evil.
Success, not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.
Blessings to all of you mommies out there today. Make it a good one!

8 comments:

Kerri said...

Sounds like an interesting read. It reminded me of a short prayer that someone gave me a few months ago. It's a quick and easy prayer that is a great way to start each day, not that I do, but I get it in every now and then. Here it is:

Prayer to the Holy Spirit

Holy Spirit, inspire in me
What I should think,
What I should say,
What I should leave unsaid,
What I should write,
What I should do,
And how I should act
To bring about the good of souls,
The fulfillment of my mission
And the Triumph of the Kingdom of Christ.
Amen.

Enjoying reading your posts!! Kerri

ermaloff said...

Contemplation is the first part of the solution. Rock on, Kari.

danielle

Chris Via said...

Sounds like you need to have a girl spa day, Kari. Not kidding. You deserve to get rid of the Mommy "to-do" list every once in a while and just make sure you're OK. Granted, I'm not a mommy (heck, I'm not even a parent yet), but that's what it sounds like you need to me. Enjoy!

MindyMac said...

So glad to see you back in blogland! Great blog. Speaks to anyone who has children for sure. I will keep my "motherly" comments about taking care of yourself to myself! : ) If you need a good talking to though, give me a call.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

You know what - this can happen to people even when their kids are grown! Wise words, woman! Linda (I've misplaced my oxygen mask...have you seen it?)

Two Shades of Pink said...

Wow. I was just saying to hubby yesterday that I am struggling so much in this area and I either have it pretty together (OK, I become manic about cleanliness, schedules, and order) or I am losing it (I check out, let the laundry pile up and fix the kids something from a box in the freexer 4 times in a week. I don't know when to just let things go or get things together. Thanks for making a mom remember she's not the only one winging it.

Cristie said...

i love you SOOO much! I just really really love you!

Heather said...

SOOOOO glad you are back to blog land.

girl, i miss you when you are gone. and just look at all these new bloggy friends who are counting on you to come up with some wit .. ONCE A WEEK (?) --

i digress.
take care of yourself.
take care of your family.
then, take care of my comic relief.

thanks.
xo
HH