Monday, April 26, 2010

Because Self-Esteem is Overrated

In an effort to help Ella make new friends, I recently arranged a play date for her and a little girl from school. Ella really seems to like her, but the jury is still out for me, thanks to the following conversation:

Ella's new "friend" asked me, "Did you know your ceiling has a big crack in it?"

"Um... yes."

"Why does it have a crack?"

"Well, as houses get older and settle they sometimes get cracks." Ever the consummate teacher, I continued, "You know how people get wrinkles when they get older? Houses are the same way." (In this case the consummate teacher needed to shut up. Don't worry. You'll see why.)

"I don't have wrinkles."

"That's because you're still young."

"But you have a LOT of wrinkles."

I didn't have the time, or the words, to reply before she went on.

"Ella, should we take our shoes off?"

"Only if we're careful not to step in the dirt."

"Ewwww! You have dirt in your house?!"

"Oh yes, lots of it. Just look at the floor!"

The jury may still be out as far as I'm concerned, but something tells me these two are going to be fast friends. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to make a quick call to my therapist. And Merry Maids.

6 comments:

Chris Via said...

That's awesome! Maybe you should talk with the new friend's mother about Southern etiquette, huh? :) Thanks for bringing a couple of wrinkles to my face, though, from laughing and smiling at this post!

Two Shades of Pink said...

I have missed you! And this made me laugh. Yours always do.

Andrea said...

Hahahahaha! I love your blog! It's the highlight of my day to see a new one posted!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Silly girl! Wonder what she would have said about my wrinkles??? Why don't you just hand her a broom and tell her she & E are going to play house! Linda

MindyMac said...

You're back!!!! yea!!!!! Tell little Miss Observant not to come to my house....she'd be horrified by the all the cracks and dirt!

Heather said...

welcome back!!!

send that friend over here.... i'll show her cracks, wrinkles AND dirt ... and then I'll give her mom some soap and tell her to use it.

xo
HH