Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Did and I Do


Ten years ago I took this man...
... for better and for worse...
No, it's not all coming up roses in our house. Let's face it: Four kids can make for some pretty intense arguments, especially when we're both worn out from the effort of parenting. But we committed early in our marriage to put God first and our relationship second. Everything else - even our children - comes after those two things. It's a conscious, daily decision to place one another's needs above the more urgent demands of our family, and it's rarely easy. But having children seems to have opened up a line of communication in our relationship that wasn't there in the early years, perhaps because we are so much more conscious of the decision we've made to protect our marriage. These days, there's a lot more of the "better" and a lot less of the "worse".
... for richer and for poorer...
If four kids make for some pretty intense arguments, then watch out for the fireworks created by our "financial discussions". But there are two important notes I'd like to make about this section in our marriage vows. First of all, PRAISE GOD I married a fiscally responsible man. We would be living in my parent's basement or in a cardboard box if I controlled the family finances. My husband is a wonderful steward of our money, and I am so grateful for the opportunities we've had to live comfortably, travel extensively, and give generously. Which leads me to my second note: Even though we've (and by we, I mean my husband) worked hard to be responsible with our money, we've (and by we, I mean I) made plenty of mistakes. Yet by God's grace, we are kept secure.
... in sickness and in health.
This is a tough one. We've faced some pretty hard challenges in this part of the vow, namely in the area of pregnancy. I battled infertility and miscarried three times before Ella was born. My actual pregnancies were miserable and life-threatening. The twin pregnancy in particular was brutal, and we spent a lot of time in the hospital. Our marriage really took a hit around that five-year mark. But the celebration today is that we've learned something from those difficult times. No doubt there is a future in which we will face these trials again. Sickness is often a part of life. But I'm determined to celebrate fifty years with the man I love, so we're going to learn from past mistakes, lean on each other in the future, and take our vitamins!
T, I take you to be my husband all over again. For better and for worse, for richer and for poorer, in sickness and in health, I am committed to love and respect you as my husband. Now, ten years later, I know so much more about what those vows mean, and the difficult choices they require. But I choose you joyfully, gratefully, and lovingly. Thank you for being my husband, my friend, my lover, and the father of our children. I can't wait to spend the next forty years by your side, celebrating the sweet blessings our life together will bring.
Happy Anniversary, babe. I love you!

6 comments:

Two Shades of Pink said...

DO WE SHARE AN ANNIVERSARY? How fun!

Jenny said...

Read this with tears the whole way through. I love you both and thank God that He brought you together. Praying that you continue to bring MORE glory to His name together than you ever would have on your own! Happy Anniversary, friends!!

MindyMac said...

So sweet!!! You guys have certainly had your share of challenges, but you've taken the manure and used it to grow a beautiful garden! (you like that? :) ) We love you both and your precious brood! Happy Anniversary!!!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Happy anniversary! Love your thoughts...thank you for sharing....very sweet! Lily

Montgomery Family said...

Happy Anniversary, Kari!
I love your blog, and I loved our good catch up! Your family is so special to us!

Christine Ward said...

Well said Kari! When you say the vows at the wedding you have no idea all that those vows entail. Ten years down the road they have much more meaning. Your relationship will continue to grow as the years go by. Love you both and rejoice in your celebration of 10 year anniversary!