Monday, August 18, 2008

Pitching my Tent

It's been a really bad week. It began with a nasty stomach bug, and at some point descended into a dark mental place that's hard for me for write about, let alone share. But part of my reason for blogging - aside from the regular writing practice I get - is to encourage other mothers of young children by being honest about the experiences I have with my own kids. I can usually laugh about our daily escapades; but more often than I like to admit, I also find myself in "the depths of despair."

I've battled this despair for years. The causes have varied from bout to bout: chronic illness; hyperemic or unexpected pregnancies; three miscarriages and three post-partum recoveries... I didn't make it past Psych 101, but I'll go out on a limb and call it situational depression. Exercise, counseling, medication, and rest all help to a certain extent, but those things are next to impossible to do when I'm trying to take care of four children. Sometimes I just go THERE.

If I'm really being honest, I've been THERE for quite a few months this time, although I didn't recognize my surroundings immediately. It took a women's conference in Atlanta last month to open my eyes. A young mom and teacher - Priscilla Shrier - was sharing a story that is familiar to those of us who grew up in Sunday School. It's an Old Testament account of the 40 years that God's children, the nation of Israel, spent wandering in the desert (Exodus 19). It wasn't much of a stretch for Priscilla to liken that story to our present-day struggles. Most women find themselves "wandering in the wilderness" at least once in their lives. I've done a few stints myself, as I mentioned, and as I listened to this speaker's message, I just knew I couldn't go back. In fact, I was physically ill at the thought of ever being in that place again. I cannot do this, Lord. Please don't make me go back THERE. I don't have the strength...

Girl, open your eyes and look around. You've been THERE. Pitch your tent already!

I don't know if motherhood is making me lose my mind, but there it is: I heard the voice of God, and apparently He speaks to me like one of my girlfriends. Yes, it was really more of an impression I felt from His Holy Spirit, but it was real. And accurate. I recognized right away that I'd been hanging out in the desert - but that I'd been too busy sticking my head in the sand to pitch my tent. At that moment, I finally surrendered and made myself at home in that dry, familiar place.

The Israelites waited in the wilderness for 40 years; I'm hoping I don't have to live there quite so long. But God is gracious, because if you know the story, you'll remember two things: 1) God had His people in the desert so He could personally teach them about Himself; and 2) God sent manna from heaven every morning to feed the Israelites in the desert. (They just had to get out of their tents and gather what He daily provided.)

Unfortunately, I wasted days' worth of time crying in my tent last week - which made me a miserable wife and mom. I didn't take one bite of His provision; I just sat around thinking, "I don't want to be where I am right now. I don't like who I am when I'm living in this place!" But I want to learn what it is God teaching me about Himself, and I usually process those lessons through writing. So tonight, I'm going to ask God what He wants me to write about - right after get out of my tent and grab something to eat! Hopefully, I'll have something to say again soon.


(PS - Someone sent me a YouTube link that speaks a bit to the theme of this entry. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dtbV6YAdw )



6 comments:

MindyMac said...

Kari, on so many levels, I totally and completely understand.I too have been THERE, and I would say I've just recently pulled my own head out of the sand enough to realize that I can't, despite all my best efforts, get myself out of THERE.....God will do that when he is good and ready to. The challenge for me is to realize that being in the dessert isn't a punishment for something. It's just a place that is free of distraction (apart from the random tumbleweed!) where the need for a Savior to help us is keenly felt. I think we first born teacher-types sometimes struggle extra hard with true dependance on anyone, even God. Hang in there girl! There are some good things about the dessert...a good tan, low humidity which means no frizzy hair, no bloating because you sweat off the water weight, etc. : ) I just read a quote that Beth Moore gave directly to a friend of mine in reference to comfort in crisis: "We will never suffer in vain. He is up to something huge when His glory is at stake!" Be encouraged by that, and know that on your worst days, you are still an excellent wife and mother!

Bill Reichart said...

it is so cool to see you blogging!

good insights and thanks for being so honest and real...

keep sharing what God is putting on your heart!!!

Bill

JESSICA said...

I am loving your blog, Kari! Thank you for being so open and honest. I think the majority of us moms would say that we have been in that desert place at some point in our mommy lives. I pray every morning for God's Strength and Energy to face the day with my three little ones. Some days I rely on Him and some days I choose not to and try to take control. No matter what I do or how I handle situations, He is ALWAYS faithful! Glad we have gotten back in touch! : )

Love,
Jessica

Heather said...

Kari, thank you for being transparent and vulnerable. i fight the urge daily to go THERE - and pray that i will rise above it. however, there are times when i am there (usually about 10 days before my cycle - and i have been diagnosed with PMDD) ... just plain THERE.

know that you are not alone.

HH

Jenny said...

God is using you through this blog, my dear friend! People who don't even know you are reading it and finding strength and encouragement. I know this for a fact, as some of my friends who read mine are now frequenting yours...just had a conversation with someone last night and your name and this post came up. Bless you!!!!

jakkmom said...

Kari,I know it is hard to see any trees when you are in the desert but you are doing a wonderful job with those little saplings!  Hang in there and take one day at a time. God knew what he was doing giving you your little ones although I'm sure you wonder! I can't wait to read about your next adventures in toddlerland!love, jakkmom