Friday, January 22, 2010

Remembering a Little of Life BC (Before Children)

I was a lot of things in my past life: daughter, wife, teacher, friend, seamstress, bookworm...

And then I had a baby.

And then another.

And another.

And yes, another.

Obviously I'm still a few of the things I once was, as my parents haven't disowned me (to my knowledge) and my husband hasn't left me (would I notice if he did?). But now that I've added "Mother" to the list, there's just not much time left in the day to teach, read, sew, or pursue friendships.

Until this week anyway, which reminded me a little of the woman I was BC (Before Children).

So first things first: I'm a teacher again!!!

Can I tell you what a shock it is to type those words? Just two weeks ago, my husband and I were praying about school for next year. We knew our budget wouldn't allow all four kids to attend private pre-school, but we really felt led to enroll them anyway. The day after I delivered their applications to the school, I got a call from a principal I used to work for who now runs a homeschool program. One of their teachers is having some health problems, and he was wondering if I would be willing to finish out the year for her. It's one day a week of teaching 7-8 grade English - an my salary is the exact cost of the kids' pre-school.

Isn't God good?

I've had the best time this week buying my school supplies and writing up lessons plans. It's refreshing to be doing something I love so passionately, without feeling like I'm neglecting the needs of my family. Of course, I'm totally terrified of not being able to balance everything, but that's another blog for another day.

Since I'm back in the classroom again, it only seemed appropriate to get a new "teacher bag". Convenient timing, since my dear friend Rachel and I had a sewing retreat planned for this past weekend. It was a wonderful three days of friendship-building, sewing, reading, and sleeping in. And I thought you all might like to see the results (because people in blogland seem to love posts like this). Anyway...

Ta-da! My new teacher bag:



Excuse the poor photo quality. I took some quickie shots just to give you an idea of what we did.


These are the 3 dresses I made for my three little girls:




This one is Evie's, with the green panel in the center:


This one is Ella's - I kept it solid pink all the way around, to make hers a little different from the twins':


This one is Emily's - it's the reverse of Evie's, so the skirt panels are swapped, and the bodice and strap fabric's are reversed:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
OK, enough of that now.
They did turn out a little big, but they actually look really cute worn as smocks over shirts and jeans. That should get us through the cold weather, anyway. By summer, they should be just right as sundresses the girls can run around in at church.
It was so much fun to finally start - and finish - some sewing projects, and Rachel and I are hoping to do it again soon. My hubby is on his way to the Grand Canyon tomorrow for a week of mountain-man backpacking, soI figure he owes me big. Plus, he knows that it feeds my soul to re-connect with that BC woman every once in awhile.
It gives me the strength to spend a whole week, alone, with my four children.

6 comments:

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Wow! Well done, K.....hope all goes well with the middle schoolers, and hope they realize how fortunate they are to have you as a teacher! Linda

Heather said...

i love those dresses ... and the bag!!!!!

congrats on the job! you will be awesome. being thrown into that situation MAKES you balance it. you'll be fine.

HH

akamilby said...

Love the teacher bag, love the dresses: you're a wonderfully handy mom and teacher, and I'm sure your creativity will serve you well in both occupations. Good luck going back to teaching! I'm sure it will be good to remember who YOU are, and what you love, in addition to the mom and wife busy-ness. You'll be great!
--holly

Christine Ward said...

Love the bag and dresses. You're so talented :)

Jenny said...

I love that you got a chance to get away and sew and spend time with a friend! Sounds so wonderful and so necessary! The results are amazing.

Can't wait to hear more about your job!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.