Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Poor, Neglected Number 4

We took my baby boy in to get his first haircut today. It seemed like a pretty good idea, since most of the comments I've received of late have been something to the effect of "Awwww... You have four of the prettiest little girls!" But it was still heartbreaking to watch the barber shore off his sweet baby curls. Even more heartbreaking was when my husband whipped out his camera to capture the moment and announced, "Oooops. The battery's dead."

That figures. I have no before and after pictures of Ty's first haircut to place in his less-than-complete baby book. Ella's first haircut, on the other hand, is documented by 15 minutes of video and some 20+ pictures. Her baby book is splitting at the seams with keepsake paraphernalia from all of her "firsts." But as most parents - and frankly any last-born child - out there can attest, it's all downhill after the first kid.


It's true. I was the best mom ever when Ella was born. Or at least, I was the most super organized mom ever. I had not one, but three completely stocked diaper bags accessible to me at all times. And when I say stocked, I mean the we're-packing-for-this-trip-to-the-mall-like-we're-traveling-to-South-America-because-you-just-never-know-what-might-happen-along-the-way kind of stocked. I had one bag that I used during the week, one bag stashed in my trunk for emergencies, and one bag for church...because if she spit up on her adorable pink church dress, I was darn sure going to have another adorable pink church dress there for back-up.

Ty, on the other hand, doesn't even have a diaper bag. Oh, he started out with a bag. It was one of those black vinyl things from Similac that the OB-GYN nurse hands you at your 28-week visit. But other than a too-small diaper and some melted crayons, there was never anything useful in it, so I finally gave up the pretense of carrying around. Now I just put a diaper in my purse with Ty's name written on it in magic marker. When we drop him off at church and the nursery volunteer asks for his bag, I whip it out and hand it off with a smile: "Here you go!"

Sadly, though, Ty's neglect occasionally goes beyond the lack of pictures and well-stocked bag. A few weeks ago, as my husband and I were making the pilgrimage to Brownsbridge, I turned to him and asked, "You fed the baby, right?" To which he turned to me and replied, "No, I thought you did." Great.
I wasn't sure what to do. After all, there were four kids dressed for church and strapped into the back of our minivan. We were almost there anyway, and with my husband there is no going back, no matter what the circumstances. But there was also no emergency diaper bag in the trunk, and a quick survey of the back seat revealed only a small handful of discarded Cheerios. Why did I have to vacuum the car this week? I thought.
We walked into church, and handed Ty and his diaper off to the nursery worker. Not wanting to reveal too much, I said as nonchalantly as possible, "Ummm, he seems a little hungrier than usual today. Do you happen to have any snacks on hand?" The worker assured me she'd find something if he got a little fussy. Which apparently she did. Because apparently he did.
"Boy, you were right!" she told me when I picked him up. "He really is hungry today. I think he ate half a box of Cheerios!"
Poor kid. I try to make up for it. I'll remember on occasion to pull out the camera, and snap 50 pictures or so - all of him in the same outfit, mind you. I also do make a point to feed him - most days anyway. Knowing that he's a boy who's going to be a man someday, I doubt he's even going to care if he has a baby book. I just hope he's able to look back and know - without a hint of doubt - how much his mother loves him. Because I really do.

5 comments:

Surviving 4 said...

Grrrr... I promise I know how to write in paragraphs! But no matter how many times I've adjusted the last few posts, Blogger has insisted on blending some of my paragraphs together. Anybody out there know why?

Also - yea! 2 gold stars this week! Thanks for all your encouragement. I have some wonderful friends.

MindyMac said...

Sweet Ty Ty! He is no worse for the wear for not having a diaper bag (or skipping an occasional breakfast!). I hate that I missed you guys today! Jack has been taking a 30-45 min. morning nap, so I knew he'd be miserably tired around 11:30. Way to go on the gold stars, and just fyi...The cutest blog on the block is up and running again!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I can't wait to see that haircut!
Love that little guy - oh, if we could all be as easy going as he is and so willing to say "que sera, sera". He knows how to go with the flow and roll with the punches.

Jenny said...

As mom to just one, I cannot relate personally, EXCEPT by looking at my poor brother's baby book. It's pretty slim pickings. But it made me laugh that you hand the nursery workers a diaper with his name in marker. Can't tell you how many similarly-labeled diapers I am handed each time I'm working in the nursery! 2 stars and counting!!!

Oh - about the paragraphs - do they look right when you're typing them in that text box?

Mine sometimes merge paragraphs when I add a link or a picture - so I go in and make sure that I hit enter a few times to re-separate my paragraphs - does that make sense?

ermaloff said...

Don't worry, Kari, he'll know you love him just as much. Me (3rd child) and my sister Erin (4th child) have a good time arguing about who has fewer baby pictures. My mom's favorite trick is pointing to a pic of one of our older siblings and saying it's us ("Um, no, Mom, that's Michael - see the newspaper from 1971 in the background?" Ok, there may not be dated newspapers, but it's just as obvious). Luckily your kids have a doting extended family who, if they are anything like my extended family, will take more pictures of the kids than my mom remembered to. :)

-danielle