Sunday, September 20, 2009

But I'm Not On My Horse!

There's a new Sarah Jessica Parker movie coming out. I don't know when exactly, and I can't look it up because I don't remember what it's called. I also can't recall the name of the lead actor to save my life. In truth, I'm just proud of myself for going to a movie last night, and for making it in time to even see the previews - though sadly not to enjoy the tub of popcorn or giant box of Goobers. But despite my mommy-induced short-term memory loss, I think I want to see this movie... if for nothing else than the scene I saw last night. It's one of those comic distance shots that shows a horse galloping across the screen. Seconds later the camera catches SJP running behind it screaming, "But I'm not on my horse!"

Oh Sarah Jessica, I feel your pain. I don't know why you aren't on your horse; I'll have to pay $10.00 sometime this fall? (winter?) to find out why. But pre-school started a couple of weeks ago in our house, and these days I feel like shouting to anyone who will listen - especially the teachers at carpool - "Just give me a minute! Please! I'm not on my horse!"

Specifically, I'm not on the Young 5's horse. See, Ella - being a July baby and therefore a "young 5" - had the option of going to Kindergarten this year. Which seemed like a bad idea at the time and seems like a worse one now. Thankfully, the church pre-school she's attends offers a special program for kids like her, who are of age but aren't quite ready for the realities of public Kindergarten. (i.e. - listening to and obeying the teacher all day) It's kind of like boot camp for these kids, who are about to enter 18 years of military academic service. At least, that's what I thought the program was all about.

Until Curriculum Night...

"OK parents, we're getting these kids ready for Kindergarten next year, so school begins promptly at 8:30 every morning. We'll be marking tardies, so make sure your little ones aren't late. Also, please don't let them bring their breakfast to class. If they're eating their breakfast, everybody will want a breakfast. And as far as homework is concerned, we will be sending home an assignment every night. It shouldn't take long to complete, but please make sure that your child is the one completing the work."

Oh sweet Lord. This isn't Young 5's Boot Camp. This is Mommy Boot Camp!!! I mean, we're never on time to school. That's why I count on late drop-off! And how else am I going to feed my child breakfast if she's not allowed to bring her baggie of Honey Nut Cheerios to class? And HOMEWORK? What does she mean 'homework'???

Needless to say, I saw my horse galloping off without me. And for two weeks I've been chasing it across the movie screen of my life screaming, "Wait! I'm not on my horse!"

Ella was late to her first 3 days of school.

She hasn't taken her breakfast to class, but I suspect she was hungry more than one morning.

As for homework? Well, all I can tell you is that being a former high school teacher doesn't help when your student is a HARD-HEADED FIVE YEAR OLD. I may need an extra happy pill just to carry me through handwriting practice.

But God bless her, it turns out my daughter loves school. Who knew, after last year's tumult? My little girl actually loves school.

Last weekend, Ella brought home a book report assignment. Her job was to listen to a book, choose her favorite part, and draw a picture of it in her journal. True to the nature of my life, I remembered her book report at 8:00 on Sunday night.

"Oh my goodness Ella, we have to do your book report!"

"No Mommy, I already did it."

"You did? Really? Um, how about you show me."

Ella returned a moment later with her journal, and I flipped it open to the first page. Sure enough, there was a picture there.

"Ella, what book did you do?"

"Cinderella. I read it all by myself and then I drew this picture. See? There's Cinderella and there's the Fairy Godmother."

It was a pretty remarkable resemblance for my artistically-challenged tomboy.

"But what's this red squiggly line around them?" I asked.

"Oh Mommy," Ella replied. "That's the magic."

Oh. The magic. I LOVE the magic. It makes me tear up just thinking about it.

Except that it's Sunday night again, and Ella has another book report due. I don't think the magic is going to help me this time. Page 2 of her journal is blank.

Heaven help me, I've got to catch that horse...

8 comments:

MindyMac said...

That is so sweet! The magic! I'm so happy that she loves school so much! That is what we talk about every Thurs. when I'm required (I mean, asked) to lay with her before bed. I really can't imagine how you get her to school every day on time, and the twins 3 days a week. With everyone dressed. And fed. I think I need a happy pill just thinking about it!

Cstargel said...

I saw that you had a new post on facebook and hurried over! Love it! I'm just proud of Ella for doing her homework on her own the first time!!!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I think I am going to draw a red line around Ella - she is magic! What a precious gal! Oh, look, out the window....I think your horse just went by!!!!!! Linda

Heather said...

love it.
sometimes i feel like my horse is passing me by as well.

have a hard enough time with 2 ... can't imagine 4 -

you'll get in your groove and you'll be riding that horse around and taking names on the way.

you don't give yourself enough credit.
xo
HH

Andrea said...

Just so we can be sure to put it on our calendar for a girls' night out....the movie is "Did You Hear About the Morgans?" with SJP and Hugh Grant. Coming out this December! :) This time we'll be sure to get the big tub of popcorn and some Goobers! (Just make sure Ella has her homework finished before I steal you away!)

Unknown said...

Hi there,

You don't know me, but I was just browsing a blog called "Stuff Christians Like", in particular an article about the funny things we say when somebody dies instead of saying "he/she died". I read your comment at the bottom, which said:

"My dear friend is in the hospital delivering her stillborn daughter as I write.......But oh, to be in the arms of Jesus... What better Parent could we seek when denied the priviledge ourselves?"

I just wanted you to know that I recently had a miscarriage and that last sentence really touched me. What a true statement that filled my heart with joy at the thought. Thanks,

Leah

Two Shades of Pink said...

First of all, you are a rock star, my hero, and parenting mentor as I imagine getting anywhere at any point...on time with 4 children. @ are challenge enough! So to have your Ella take the intitiative with that homework was just so, so, so sweet! So you may be a little late, you may have to do food on the run, but by golly your daughter can draw MAGIC! For that alone it makes it all worth it. Even if it was a one time initiative...

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I really enjoy your posts.