Wednesday, September 16, 2009

There Once Was a Girl

There once was a girl who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, she was very, very good.
But when she was bad, she was horrid.

I don't know who wrote this four-line description of my eldest, but I certainly can't take credit for the author's brilliant insight. I suspect it's taken from a children's book though, since both my sister-in-law and my mother-in-law - who are teachers - quote it all the time. Usually while watching Ella doing something naughty.

Not that she's naughty all the time. She's not. Sometimes she's good; indeed "very, very good." And sometimes she just takes after her daddy, who's doesn't score real high on the compassion scale. No, compassion isn't really wired into Ella's personality.

I saw this particular side of her nature revealed last week when my parents came over to give me a hand in the yard. I don't usually mind yard work; it's the landscaping that gives me fits. Mom and Dad graciously offered several hours of manual labor and landscaping insight, and I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived and Darcy bounded out of the truck ahead of them.

Darcy is my sister's sweet-natured, fuzzy black mutt. Practically a daughter, granddaughter, niece, and cousin to our family. She also does phenomenal clean-up work in my car and on my kitchen floor - which were particularly gross that day - so I was very happy to see her.

Darcy was an angel all day long, despite spending much of her time "training" in the front yard. She was tested several times throughout the day by the various dogs who strolled by - and one particularly big dog who lives across the street. But she did great, and by the end of the day none of us were paying much attention to her as she laid resting in the grass.

Then a neighbor came over to say a quick hello, and when she left Darcy was gone. I mean gone. She was absolutely nowhere to be found. The yard work was suspended as three adults and four children embarked on a mission to find my sister's AWOL dog. Nearly an hour in, with Ella sitting in the front seat on her Mimi's lap, my daughter sighed sadly and said, "I sure hope we find Darcy soon."

"Oh honey," I replied, "we'll find her. She's going to be okay."

"That's good," said Ella. "Because I'm getting hungry!"

Oh. "Well, I know we'll find her soon."

But we didn't find her, and soon my mother was in tears. As I threw a quick batch of pancakes together - with Ella looking on - Mom cried on my shoulder: "I just love that dog so much! What if we don't find her? This is all my fault; I shouldn't have brought her over here."

"Mom, it's not your fault," I tried to comfort her. "I mean, really it's all our faults. We were all responsible for watching her."

"It's not my fault," Ella piped up. "I didn't bring her over here!"

Well, so much for comfort.

But as it turns out, we didn't need the comfort. While fixing "dinner," Mom and I started piecing a few clues together and realized that Darcy had probably followed my neighbor home and been accidentally shut into her garage. Sure enough, I went up to the garage door and put my ear near the crack at the bottom. The muffled bark I heard was perfect confirmation, since I know for certain my neighbor does not own a dog. An hour later - once my neighbor returned home - Darcy was safe and sound back at our house.

I don't think Ella noticed. She'd gotten tired of waiting and went to bed.

6 comments:

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Oh, my, what a gal! Whether very good OR horrid, she's a keeper! Love her! Nana

MindyMac said...

LOVE it! I'm afraid Ella got her "love" of animals from the Mattingly side! Ha! That is so funny! Yes, Ella and Molly both have that curl in the middle of their foreheads!

Alicia said...

I remember reading somewhere that there is a part of the brain that is responsible for empathy, and that it doesn't fully develop until your early twenties. I don't know if that's born out by experience or not, because people are clearly capable of being nice before then, but I thought it was interesting.

Andrea said...

Don't fret. I'm sure that adventure was on Darcy's list of her "favorite things"...right up there with riding in the car, going for a walk, going to the dog park, visiting her daddy, eating cookies, snuggling with her mommy, chasing chipmunks, scaring away gay Yorkies... She has a lot of favorite things. :) And Ella, well, she reminds me a little of this girl who once announced "oh great. I can see the headlines now: 'The Wards Kill Santa Clause.'" :)

Heather said...

i love it!
not only do i love this post... but i'm so darn glad that i checked this blog again today.

WHO KNEW!?!

2 posts in one week.

I.LOVE. THAT.

xo
HH

Jenny said...

Funny, funny. She and Andrew have much in common. I know I should probably keep my comments related to the post, but I'm intrigued by Andrea's comment and now NEED to know more about the Wards almost killing Santa. Sounds too good to miss...